EduClaytion Says Goodbye… | EduClaytion

EduClaytion Says Goodbye…

Now that I’ve announced the fact that eduClaytion is going away and why, it’s time to commence official ceremonies for this celebration of bloggy life.

Like any other departure, let’s start with the death announcement–hosted today by Leanne Shirtliffe–before we proceed.

THE EDUCLAYTION OBITUARY

~*~*~*~

Knox McCoy once asked me what movie quote I would put on my tombstone. I said I would go with Morgan Freeman’s line from The Shawshank Redemption: Get busy living or get busy dying.

Hard for me to argue with that pick, but it’s time for a new epitaph, especially now that we’re laying ol’ eduClaytion to rest. So I thought it would be fun to let you all take a shot at writing a one-liner for the tombstone to this site. I’ve already got my official pick in mind but would like to offer a new DVD copy of The Shawshank Redemption to whomever comes up with the best alternative. It could be from a book or movie or just something you conjure from your own mind. Maybe you’ll even persuade me as you brilliant folks so often have in the past. Have fun with it and leave your ideas in the comments section.

~*~*~*~

Oh I better cut this off before I get all weepy and start crying into a jar of peanut butter. As Dale Horvath told us in The Walking Dead, “Words are paltry things,” so I’ve put together a short video tribute for you as a way to all at once say thanks and goodbye and can somebody please for the love of all that is holy start producing videos for me that don’t look like they were  made by that super technologically inept relative we all have?

Sorry. I’m better now. I guess these emotions are making me all ragey and stuff.

Anyway, here’s the final vintage eduClaytion video. Be sure to read the obit and then share your thoughts and potential epitaphs in the comments section.

Be loved and blessed and share the rest.

Did you read the obituary?

What should the eduClaytion tombstone say?

If you would like to submit a video for next week’s funeral, simply read the end of the obituary at Ironic Mom’s site.

51 Responses to “EduClaytion Says Goodbye…”

1. Ricky Anderson May 11, 2012 at 10:46 am #

Tombstone should say “My shortest blog post ever.”

• Educlaytion May 11, 2012 at 11:06 am #

Haha, like that.

2. Mark Kaplowitz May 11, 2012 at 10:53 am #

It’s hard to believe there’s going to still be an Internet without eduClaytion. I’ve gotten used to it being there, like the sky or the ocean. But, seriously, thank you Clay for your early support of my blog, especially the shout-outs on Posts that Pop, and the loads of comments you left on Schlabadoo.com (you are still the number one commenter there). Your blog will be missed but I know that your work will continue, and that you’re moving on to better things. So congratulations on reaching the next stage. We’ll be watching.
    Mark

• Educlaytion May 11, 2012 at 11:07 am #

Thanks Mark. You’re one of the good ones.

3. Gene Lempp May 11, 2012 at 11:04 am #

Just one? Can’t do it man.

“He spoke of icons. Became an icon. Lies beneath an icon.”

“Ashes to ashes, clay to pot.”

“What truck?”

*grins*

• Educlaytion May 11, 2012 at 11:06 am #

Not just one, the more the merrier. Thanks Gene!

4. Larisa May 11, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

“Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?”

“As you wish.”

See, I was paying attention during March Movie Madness!

• Educlaytion May 11, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

Awesome Larisa! I considered that Ferris Bueller line, but the others are also great.

5. LarryTheDeuce May 11, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

Dyin’ ain’t much of a livin’boy—The Outlaw Josey Wales

• Educlaytion May 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

Nice Larry, that’s a good one.

6. Arty (Tinman) May 11, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

“I was learning all the time. This tombstone is my diploma.”

My condolences were left in a past post so no new obituary…
    Nuff said…

• Educlaytion May 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

Good one Arty, and yes, you’re obituary was TREMENDOUS.

7. HopefulLeigh May 11, 2012 at 12:37 pm #

Oh my, Leanne certainly rose to the occasion. I plan on asking her to write my obit if I happen to die first. And Clay, I didn’t know I could possibly love you more and then you went all Breakfast Club on me. WHY DO YOU HAVE TO LEAVE US? I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I know *you’re* not really leaving and I’m still excited about what’s next for you.

Tombstone suggestions: “It’s not your fault” (The inspiration might stem from the fact that I may or may not be bitter about losing MMM2.)
    He came. He saw. He blogged.

• Educlaytion May 11, 2012 at 3:06 pm #

I knew you’d appreciate the Breakfast Club tribute. Seems like there wasn’t any other way to go eh? Don’t be bitter. We’ll always have Psych.

8. Tor Constantino, MBA May 11, 2012 at 1:00 pm #

I guess you can’t go wrong with tombstone epitaphs based on quotes from the movie Tombstone – for your consideration:

“There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.”

“Eventus stultorum magister.” [events are the teacher of fools]

“You die first, get it? Your friends might get me in a rush, but not before I make your head into a canoe…”

“It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.”

You gonna do somethin’? Or are you just gonna stand there and bleed?

“Why Kate, you’re not wearing a bustle. How lewd.”

“Fin”

• Educlaytion May 17, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

TOR! Did you know how much I LOVE Tombstone? GREAT selections my friend.

9. Danielle May 11, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

“Oops…thought this was the rabbit hole to Wonderland”

• Educlaytion May 11, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

Always appreciate a Matrix reference =)

10. Tyler H May 11, 2012 at 1:20 pm #

Hey Clay, are you gonna start another blog or are you done with the interwebs?

• Educlaytion May 11, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

I doubt I’ll ever be done with the interwebs. We’ll see what happens.

11. Tamara Lunardo May 11, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

• Educlaytion May 11, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

You’re speechless. I understand. Too proud to cry in front of me. Don’t you worry about that now.

12. Kelly K @ Dances with Chaos May 11, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

My variations of quotes for the epitaph.

“Taken down — now more powerful than you can possibly imagine.”

“He came. He saw. He kicked internet ass.”

“It’s a trick. Get an ax.”

“Needed a bigger boat.”

“As he wished.”

“Gave one too many pop quizzes.”

“Death cannot stop him. Only delay him for a while.”

“Did not let Shawshank Redemption win for MMM#2. Oops.”

“He was here, but now he’s gone. He’s left his name to turn you on. Those who knew him, knew him well. Those who didn’t, can go to h***.”

“The last Goonie.”

Be sure to let me know what is in store for you next.

• Educlaytion May 14, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

These are awesome Kel! I was outta town this weekend, just getting to respond to stuff now. You might even have persuaded me.

13. Howlin' Mad Heather May 11, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

“So long, and thanks for all the fish.”

• Educlaytion May 14, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

Excellente muchacha.

14. Renee Schuls-Jacobson May 11, 2012 at 4:45 pm #

A bastardized reference from Spinal Tap?

Yours went to 11.

I can’t believe how many links I’m going to have to fix. I thought you would flip over to Clay Morgan. Wow. For some reason, I always get posts a day late. Always have. This is one party I’d better not miss. Love you. Fryber.

Oooh! From Rocky:

Gonna Fly Now!

Cuz you are.

• Educlaytion May 14, 2012 at 10:24 pm #

Thanks Renee. The links will still work, don’t worry about that.

15. Leanne Shirtliffe May 11, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

So, if you could just go ahead and start a new blog, that’d be great. Oh, and I’m going to need you to post this weekend. On Saturday. And Sunday too.

I will be wearing 30 pieces of metaphorical flair at eduClaytion’s funeral.

Epitaph? Epigraph? Spirograph?

Shall I go sappy and quote Shakespeare?
    Option 1: “Parting is such sweet sorrow.”
    Option 2: “Good night, sweet prince. / May flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.”
    Option 3: “Death lies on [eduClaytion} like an untimely frost/ Upon the sweetest flower of all the field.” (Of course, in Canada the flowers are frozen and dead 75% of the time… Don’t want you to think I’ve gone all sappy.)

• Leanne Shirtliffe May 11, 2012 at 11:31 pm #

And one non-Shakespearean quote I have to include: ” There’s a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.”

• Kelly K @ Dances with Chaos May 12, 2012 at 10:29 am #

I meant to include that one too… Good one.

• Larisa May 14, 2012 at 8:53 am #

Leanne, that’s perfect! You know I love any Princess Bride referece!

• Educlaytion May 14, 2012 at 10:29 pm #

That line is even in my book :-)

• Educlaytion May 14, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

Office Space and Shakespeare–wonderful. Thanks for hosting the rockin obit.

16. randomlychad May 11, 2012 at 6:47 pm #

“Everybody must get ‘stoned’”

Zombie Orson Welles says “We wil kill no blog before its time.”

“Rosebud”

“O, captain! My captain!”

“He was a sweaty-toothed madman.”

Clay, in all seriousness: you’re a hoopy frood who knows where his towel is. Safe travels.

• Educlaytion May 14, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

All good, especially the sweaty-toothed madman. Love that line.

17. Ellie Ann May 12, 2012 at 9:17 am #

I was crying during the video. Especially when I saw that Christmas sweater.
    You’re hilarious.

• Educlaytion May 14, 2012 at 10:30 pm #

Thanks Ellster! Were the tears of a) nostalgia b) joy or c) relief?

18. Brent Davis May 12, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

I really like the “O captain, my captain” someone put down.

Well here’s mine:
    “First Bear Grylls, then Maurice Sendak, now Clay Morgan?!”

“It’s better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.”
    -Zapata

“Here’s lookin at you kid.”
    -Casablanca

“Never tell your problems to anyone…20% don’t care and the other 80% are glad you have them.”
    - Lou Holtz

• Educlaytion May 14, 2012 at 10:31 pm #

Great stuff Brent. Thanks for commenting again before I go!

19. susielindau May 12, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

Educlaytion’s tombstone should read, “From Educlaytion to Cremation. Snuffed out before its time.”

• Educlaytion May 14, 2012 at 10:33 pm #

Thanks Susie. Snuffed.

20. Deborah Kinnicutt May 12, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

I’m not original, but just wanted to say thank you and keep our emails, you never know what lies ahead, you might just want to let us know….Luck to you…

• Educlaytion May 14, 2012 at 10:34 pm #

Thanks for the happy wishes Deborah.

21. thoughtsappear May 13, 2012 at 10:45 am #

So I totally watched The Breakfast Club Friday night…before I read your post. What are the chances…weird.

I read in the obit you liked Mamma Mia. I knew it…..

• Educlaytion May 14, 2012 at 10:34 pm #

Uh, that was facetious Thoughtsy. And yes, weird. It’s because I KNOW.

22. Kim Wilson May 14, 2012 at 11:03 am #

Inspired by Choose Your Own Adventure books…

Eaten by the flying purple people eater. Or a zombie.

• Educlaytion May 14, 2012 at 10:35 pm #

A purple people eater reference? Fantastic. I bet zero percent of our college students would get that.

23. Larisa May 18, 2012 at 7:21 am #

Is it too late for more?

“Don’t you forget about me.” I guess I should have paid more attention to the video.

“Goodbye doesn’t mean forever” Because, who doesn’t like The Goodbye Girl?

It will be interesting to see what you decide.

• Educlaytion May 18, 2012 at 10:41 am #

It’s never too late Larisa. Never. And that Breakfast Club one is also perfect.

• Larisa May 18, 2012 at 11:30 am #

Plus they use it for the Psych promo, so I thought you’d like it. I did like your goodbye blog – especially the tribute by my cousin Renee (The Teacher/Twit)! :o )