The EduClaytion Funeral | EduClaytion

The EduClaytion Funeral

Getting laid to rest like this original blog mugshot

Welcome ladies and gentlemen to the end of an era. Last Friday, eduClaytion took some time to say goodbye to you. Now it’s time for you to say goodbye to eduClaytion. Yes, it’s a bit of a somber day to be sure as we bid farewell to a dear friend. But let’s celebrate the good times like Kool and the Gang.

You know, it’s almost like eduClaytion–a brand that was born exactly one decade ago–has been a part of me for all these years. We are not mourning a loss but rather celebrating something that brought so much joy and love to so many.

A variety of some of the greatest bloggers and people around the internet today have offered their talents and time to pay tribute on this grave occlaysion. There has never been an event like this in the history of the internet. Boom. Eat your heart out Bill Gates. What? You’re here? That’s right Bill Gates, cuz it’s that big.

Knox McCoy, the Tennessee Tenderfoot himself, is here to serve as honorary officiant and start us off with a rhapsodic introduction.

The Blessing

Dearly beloved of the internet and beyond, we are gathered here today to remember a website that while it was torn all too early from our computer screens, will forever live on in the hearts and minds of those who came into contact with it.

Educlaytion.com was a brilliant website with a bright future, a sunny disposition and an ability to never meet a stranger. My most favorite memory of Educlaytion.com is that one night we were looking for a Blockbuster Video and ended up at an underground Pittsburgh Fight Club with a group of Japanese businessmen from Kyoto – and we all ended up eating breakfast together and becoming Facebook friends. That was classic Educlaytion.com.

Educlaytion.com was a lover of movies. Educlaytion.com was an adventurer. Educlaytion.com had a hellacious left hook. And Educlaytion.com was my friend. Educlaytion.com was a friend to all of us. Go now, peacefully and gently into that good night, Educlaytion.com, until we are to meet again.

~Knox McCoy

~*~*~*~

Today’s first video eulogy is from Jared Hollier who wishes to pay tribute through song, an interpretive dance really.

~*~*~*~

Ironic Mom Leanne Shirtliffe

~*~*~*~

Thoughtsy & Larry Hehn

~*~*~*~

Ellie Soderstrom

~*~*~*~

Chad Gibbs, Jessie Cribbins, Piper BayardRenée Schuls-Jacobson, Chase McFadden

~*~*~*~

Arty Arnold wrote an obit that was too good to miss.

~*~*~*~

Jess Buttram

~*~*~*~

Kim Wilson

~*~*~*~

*Thanks to Kelly Kay for the great epitaph!

~*~*~*~

Tell everyone what a great job they did and don’t forget to sign the guest book!*

*The guest book looks exactly like the comments section.

On Twitter #eduClaytionFuneral

67 Responses to “The EduClaytion Funeral”

1. Leanne Shirtliffe May 18, 2012 at 9:42 am #

I am speechless. But Vivian, who watched all of them with me, says: “Funny! You have funny friends. Great job.”

And I’d have to agree.

And Larry, you’ll still find my sass. I have plenty of (s)ass, doncha worry.

See y’all on the other side.

• Educlaytion May 18, 2012 at 11:28 am #

This day = WIN. Crossing over now.

• Leanne Shirtliffe May 18, 2012 at 11:43 am #

More twisted fun: I just pressed play on all the vids at once. Got quite an audio mash up going on. And unlike Arty, I’m sober.

So far.

• Michael Perkins May 20, 2012 at 9:37 pm #

Kuddos for the batman/crash test dummies tribute.

#win

2. Marianne Hansen May 18, 2012 at 9:46 am #

This is a very fitting funeral. I’m sad to see it go. Is there a support group blog developing?

• Educlaytion May 18, 2012 at 11:29 am #

Ha, what would we title that Marianne?

3. Jess May 18, 2012 at 10:00 am #

Best funeral ever. You have some crazy friends,Clay! Really sad to see eduClaytion go away,but I guess I can always call you up for a laugh when I miss you. ;-) And I will. Maybe. Probably. Calling you now. I’m hoping for a rendition from Mamma Mia. *sigh* Hugs and kisses for you on your journey to the big time anything.

• Educlaytion May 18, 2012 at 11:30 am #

Off to that big blogyard in the sky. But I might stop at Arbys first.

4. Ellie Ann May 18, 2012 at 10:01 am #

THE BAT WINGS! I love the bat wings. I was so sorry to see Batgirl so devastated, though. I wonder who she really was…
    This was a fitting funeral/celebration of life for such an awesome blog. As William Wallace said, “Freeedooom!” Oh wait, not that. Um, “Life is life a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get.” So, today we got the chocolate of Educlaytion.com dying. IT tastes sad.

• Educlaytion May 18, 2012 at 11:30 am #

That analogy WORKS. Thanks Ellster! The William Wallace connection is especially fitting since you brought bagpipes to this dead man’s party.

5. Arty (Tinman) May 18, 2012 at 10:29 am #

Clay “HIC” I jus “HIC” waaanted to saaaay “HIC” I ammmmmm having a a a a a great time “HIC” at EDUMACATIONS wake…. “HIC” just loooove these Irish wakes “HIC” HEY BARKEEP ANOTHER ROUND FOR MY BLOGGER AND FRIENDS… Put it on Clay’s “HIC” Tab… ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE BATHROOM IS???

• Educlaytion May 18, 2012 at 11:31 am #

Oh Lordie, someone get a stretcher. Ol’ Tinman showed up drunk, soused, fluzzlegarbled. Sorry I’ve driven you to drink my friend. Thanks for the amazing eulogy!

6. Chase McFadden May 18, 2012 at 11:16 am #

Are Clay and Thoughtsy brother and sister? Seriously.

Good luck, Clay. You’re going out on top.

• Educlaytion May 18, 2012 at 11:32 am #

And thaaaaaat’s what she said. Thanks again Chase! Wouldn’t have been the same without ya.

• thoughtsappear May 18, 2012 at 11:54 am #

This may be the highest compliment I’ve ever received, Chase!

7. Kim Wilson May 18, 2012 at 11:18 am #

Simply splendid. I can think of no greater ending. I’ll be back any time I need a laugh. Great work, eulogizers. Great work, Clay. This may be the first blog funeral, but I’m sure it’s not the last.

• Educlaytion May 18, 2012 at 11:34 am #

I know, I just keep watching the vids again and again. They’ll be here forever now. And thank you SOOOO much for all your help once again!

8. Trish Loye May 18, 2012 at 11:22 am #

A very fitting tribute (and hilarious too). Sad to see educlaytion go.

• Educlaytion May 18, 2012 at 11:34 am #

Thanks Trish. I feel all the support from Calgary IYKWIM. I don’t know what I mean.

9. Ricky Anderson May 18, 2012 at 11:26 am #

You were the wind beneath my wings.

Sadly, now you are the dirt beneath my feet.

Hope you don’t take that the wrong way.

• Educlaytion May 18, 2012 at 11:35 am #

I’d never take anything the wrong way from you Ricky. In fact, I wouldn’t take anything from you. Except your friendship. And probably some of your money if you weren’t looking.

10. Alise May 18, 2012 at 11:36 am #

So you know that episode of The Mary Tyler Moore show where Mary laughs all through the clown’s funeral?

Yeah, that.

We’ll toast it up good when we finally meet.

• Educlaytion May 18, 2012 at 11:37 am #

Right on Alise. btw, I had my first full go as a zombie last week. Did ya see the pics on FB?

11. randomlychad May 18, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

Today, we bid farewell to Educlaytion, and in the wake of this great website, I’d like to say:

Educlaytion may be six feet under now, but I know it’s pushing daisies. Clay built a great community here, but you never know–it could be that Educlaytion is only mostly dead. Because, you see, like the walking dead, sometimes they come back.

• Educlaytion May 18, 2012 at 3:29 pm #

Indeed they do Chad. Indeeeeeeeed they do.

12. Tamara Lunardo May 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

Amazing. I don’t even know where to begin– Jared’s made me snort, Leanne’s was classic, Jess’ was impeccable, and Kim’s will have that dang song in my head all day. Awesome job from everyone.

Except that one chick.

Nice whore of a friend you have there, EduClaytion.

• Karin May 18, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

I loved your vid the best Tamara! I think it was even funnier for me, because somehow I had previously seen the one of Clay doing the same thing (until I then saw it in Kim’s)

• Educlaytion May 18, 2012 at 3:32 pm #

Haha, never. She’s a brave sole that one, brilliant in parody too. It’ll be funny for people who don’t know my original parody and also don’t watch the final video here. They’ll just think “well, looks like Tamara’s taking off her clothes and filming a video from the shower. Okay.”

13. The Simple Country Life May 18, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

oh wow… those were all so good. What a great way to go!

• Educlaytion May 18, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

Thanks eh?!

14. Misty May 18, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

Leanne’s is killing me.

And Thoughtsy . . . and Tamara . . . and Kim.

Oh, they are all really great!

What a touching tribute to such a wonderful . . .

Wait, what are we all here for again? Is this for Donna Summers? Because she was one groovy chick. That Last Dance song . . . stellar. RIP Donnna!

Oh yeah, you too Clay. ;)

• Educlaytion May 18, 2012 at 3:34 pm #

True, I hate to steal some of Donna’s legacy, but I didn’t know she was saving the last dance for me. I’ll miss you Misty, even if you do think the Ravens are good.

15. HopefulLeigh May 18, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

A truly impressive funeral, Clay. Educlaytion brings out the best in everyone.

I offer up my skills as a bereavement counselor for anyone that would like help processing this difficult and sad goodbye.

Single tear. Toast raised. Over and out!

• Educlaytion May 18, 2012 at 3:34 pm #

That’s very kind of you Leigh. I know we had a couple fainters earlier and Arty showed up hammered.

16. Danielle May 18, 2012 at 2:16 pm #

To think, right before my very eyes, Clay has grown from an awkwardly tall string-bean of a fellow in basketball shorts or a cheerleader skirt, with awesome hair, into an not-so-awkwardly tall goober of a fellow in Bill Cosby sweaters who dances like no one is watching (because no one should, but we ALWAYS are). Ahh, Clay – intrigue, knowledge, useless information, fantastic ideas, and wonderful humor & wrapped up in a great friend and a teacher we all wish we had in school.

I’m so very proud to know you, Clay. Oh, wait…that’s not your name! Again, I feel bamboozled. It’s like I don’t know you at ALLLLLLL!!! I shall go now. I shall cry in the corner.

-Signed, Jetta …because apparently you’re also color blind ;) Can’t wait to see what comes next!

• Educlaytion May 18, 2012 at 3:35 pm #

Yes, how great that you’ve seen me go from a young, awkward boy to an older, somehow more awkward man. Thanks D.

17. K.B. Owen May 18, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry, take my clothes off or grab a Christmas sweater, sing or eat a Pop Tart! What a fabulous send-off for a great guy. Best of luck in the next phase, Clay! :D

• Educlaytion May 18, 2012 at 3:36 pm #

I think you should do ALL those things Kathy! btw, I believe you were the first person I ever selected for a PTP since we’re getting all nostalgic today.

18. Jess May 18, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

Tamára, will you sing at my funeral too?

• Educlaytion May 18, 2012 at 3:36 pm #

I think I can speak for Tamara here. Yes, and she’ll do it topless.

And how do you people keep getting all those dang apostrophes over her name?

• Tamara Lunardo May 18, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

Well you’re not going to die, so NO. But in the event of unfortunate circumstances I will sing in any state of (un)dress you deem appropriate.

19. Renée A. Schuls-Jacobson May 18, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

These were so awesome! These were all so amazing. Did Leanne rent a set? And Tamara, that was excellent camera work there. I’m sad that somehow my video didn’t make the cut. Or maybe there were technical difficulties? Anyway, you will be missed, Fryber. And I don’t know if you are checking messages anymore, but your video is going to run Saturday.

Posthumously, I guess. ;-)

Thanks for everything.

• Educlaytion May 18, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

What do you mean you didn’t make the cut?! I loved it. You’re in the A-Team montage! Check it out.

• Leanne Shirtliffe May 18, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

Renzay, I lurved your video. While Vivian and I were watching it, I was shouting out your brilliant rewrite to my DH. This all happened while I was eating pb on an English muffin. And trying to ignore William who was telling me about the mating habits of goldfish. Or something. And you look gorgeous even with wet hair. I’m trying not to call you a name. ;)

• Renee A. Schuls-Jacobson May 18, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

I don’t know where you were to film that piece of awesome-sauce, but I want those bat-wings! William has the best toys. Or were those your husband’s? He did have that creepy mannequin collection…

I FINALLY saw the video on my husband’s computer. Everyone was great. This funeral kind of makes me want to kill my blog.

Or at least wound it… ;-)

• Tamara Lunardo May 18, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

Girl, your video is there and you are *precious* in it!

And yeah, my husband was happy to handle the videography. ;)

• Renee A. Schuls-Jacobson May 18, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

JUST saw it. FINALLY.

I never realized that I looked up when I am making something up. Something to know about me. If I am bull$shitting you, I am looking up and thinking hard.

Probably like your husband was when he was filming you in the shower.

IYKWIM.

20. August McLaughlin May 18, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

Sadness swallowed anything eloquent I could’ve said. So I’ll just say so long, good luck and thanks for bein’ real. Er, virtual. Mmm… both.

21. thoughtsappear May 18, 2012 at 6:14 pm #

Ellie, I think Clay totally forgot to water it. Ironic Mom, please send me the contact info for your tailor. Halloween is almost here, you know. Tamara, the shower scene was awesome! Great song, Kim!

Nice videos everyone!

We’ll miss you, EduClaytion!

22. Kelly K @ Dances with Chaos May 18, 2012 at 10:47 pm #

Wait, I won??

No kudos for my beloved epitaph selection?

LOVE, the videos–alas I have barely been by electronic devices the last few days, so I was unable to share one.

You will be missed, my Goonie friend.

23. Larry Hehn May 18, 2012 at 11:49 pm #

This post has more awesomeness per square inch than even Canada. A wonderful set of tributes to a wonderful blog. And some pretty wonderful readers, too!

24. LarryTheDeuce May 19, 2012 at 7:19 am #

My aunt was late to a funeral once.

25. Gene Lempp May 19, 2012 at 11:42 am #

What an incredible turn out and such nice flowers. When one comes to Claytion u must see Ed. And here he lies in state and pomp. He will be missed, a nation lost. We weep are pray ore his blessed grave and listen to sweet tales of well-humored knave. So, light said candle for Ed of Claytion and release loved dove to heaven that he may fly ever upon its wings in peace.

Yeah, I’m not a poet, but ya gets the point :)

Lovely way to bring closure, Clay.

26. Judy Berman May 20, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

Alas, poor Yorick … I knew him well. EduClaytion, while I knew you less well … and even less unwell … I wish you the very best.

27. The Good Greatsby May 21, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

Sad that the funeral tributes you received for your blog are better the ones I’ll receive at my real funeral.

28. Liz McLennan May 21, 2012 at 11:36 pm #

I can’t decide if these are from laughing or crying. Probably both. Trust you, Clay, to go out with such pizzazz!

Love it. Ya buncha lunatics!

xo

29. susielindau May 23, 2012 at 11:24 am #

Dang! I missed out on the Educlaytion party! (memorial service). I am so sorry to hear of your passing, but will be looking forward to seeing your reincarnated self!

30. Amanda Hoving May 29, 2012 at 3:18 pm #

Pure fabulousness! RIP, Clay.

31. limr June 21, 2012 at 10:54 am #

The end of an era!

I haven’t been here in a while (obviously, seeing that this was posted a month ago!) I’m sad that your funeral happened while I was still on a blogging break and I couldn’t make a more timely comment.

Yours was the first blog I really started following. I remember that the post that sealed the deal mentioned Pittsburgh, the Steelers, and Gene Kelly…three of my favorite things!…and I was hooked. And now, just as I am returning to my blog, yours is going away :(

All the best to you in your blogging afterlife!

1. Sexiness and Superheroes | Leanne Shirtliffe ~ Ironic Mom - May 18, 2012

[...] I’m pretty sure this might be the first ever blog funeral. Seriously, you need to check out Educlaytion’s Funeral. Tell your friends:TwitterFacebookPinterestLinkedInStumbleUponMoreEmailPrintRedditDiggLike [...]

2. Good-Bye, My Friend | Meet the Buttrams - May 18, 2012

[...] head over there and see what everyone has to say about educlaytion.com behind its back because you know it’s [...]

3. Raise Your Pop-Tart to EduClaytion « Thoughts Appear's Blog - May 18, 2012

[...] Today is a sad, sad day. You’ve probably heard about the end of EduClaytion. [...]

4. Stuff I’ve Been Reading - May 20, 2012

[...] Morgan laid his blog to rest this week. Some of his bloggy friends sent EduClaytion off in style. Clay has some big stuff coming [...]